[windows2000] Re: OT - Math Question

  • From: "Mark Lane" <marklanemail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:10:47 -0600

I was a math major in a former life 10+ years.

1/2(e^x + e^-x) = 4
e^x + e^-x = 8
(e^x)^2 + 1 = 8e^x
Let y = e^x such that x = ln(y).
y^2 + 1 = 8y
y^2 - 8y + 1 = 0
Use quadratic formula, which is x = (-b +- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac))/2a, to solve for
y in previous equation.
Then x = ln(y)

From:  Ron Leach

It's been a long while in doing the math problems, so please pardon the
OT.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with the following math
problem (a little break from the normal stuff :-))

1/2(e^x + e^-x) = 4, solve for x.

Thanks!

Ron

PS  Maybe Jim has a math list? ;-)