[windows2000] Re: OT: Help! :-O

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:52:37 +0200

Charles R. Buchanan <> wrote on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:59 PM:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:48:47 +0200, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> took time to say the following:
>
>> Charles R. Buchanan <> wrote on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:39 AM:
>>
>> Did you connect power to all power-inlets on the mobo? Some mobos have more
>> than one power-inlet.
>
> Although the full size MB I have as a spare (with the same class of cpu)
> has the extra power jack, this micro sized board doesn't have that four
> plug socket.

Ok, so it's this.

>> Anyway, the problems you describe are almost similar to those that I have
>> at work. Nine times out of then it's the PSU. Try borrowing, or buy a new
>> one - it'll last forever anyway 8-), quality PSU with at least 300W (400+
>> recommended) and try with that one.
>
> I've tried two power supplies so far. Would buying another one make a
> difference? :-(

As farfetched as it may sound, yes. I've had situations when trying with two
mobos and two older used PSUs and one new and unopened PSU. The two first PSUs
with both mobos didn't go, but the new new PSU with both mobos would. At times
like this I have a hunch that the used PSUs *may* be top-notch and working
propoerly but can't quite pusg the required juice to the mobo.

YMMV as always... 8-)

>> A failing PSU is number one on the computer-won't-start-syndrome. Number
>> two is a bad HD shared with a broken cpu-fan, and number three and far
>> below is a overheated/burned CPU (sometimes a consequence of number two).
>
> Video didn't show even without the HD's hooked up.  Two different CPU's
> (on the new MB)

Buying a completely new computer comes to mind. Sorry, I can't come up with
more hints. Usually after a few tries with different PSU and mobo-combos I
find a working solution.

Did you check the mobo for swollen or leaking capacitors? I have that a lot
when I come back after the summer vacation. Some older mobos just can't cope
with the swedish summers...

HTH.