[windows2000] Re: OT: FCC to Allow Wireless Access on Planes

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:02:44 +0000

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:18:41 +0100, Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:51:11 +0000, Dogers wrote:
> >Last I heard, they were banned from planes - they dont let you take
> >petrol on, so why let you take methanol on? :)
>
> Well, chemically methanol is not that different from ethanol, and
> ethanol they do sell on the plane, as you may know. So one might
> argue whether they ban mosquitoes and stop camels, or some such to
> use a slightly twisted metaphor. 8-)
>
> >I believe theyre waiting for approval by FCC also?
>
> Have they had to get FCC approval for selling liquors onboard too?

No, but then they dont sell pure alcohol onboard :) (or do they, let
me know!! would make 14hr flights MUCH more interesting!)
Basically, its a flammable fuel, in a larger pot (and i'd assume more
combustable) than normal lighters!

HOWEVER! I take it back, i've had a look here
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Oct/gee20021008016693.htm
and here
http://techworld.com/mobility/news/index.cfm?NewsID=2727&Page=1&pagePos=17

Seems theyre ok for use on planes, and theyve recently allowed them to
be exported to other countries they trust.. but then the second
article says another organisation doesnt want them on planes, blah
bureaucracy blah :/

Andrew