[windows2000] Re: OT: Corporate PC Preferences?

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 10:17:05 -0700 (PDT)

We used HP for the longest time. Had the same issues as have been described
with dells in previous posts.  We now use Dell GX 620's.  We have hundreds of
them with few issues. Dell has been prompt to replace any units with problems.

  The realization needs to be that all of the components, no matter the
manufacturer, come from the same place. Dell doesn't make all of their own
chips and capacitors, nor does HP. (albeit they may burn their own bios) All
components are rated with a mean time between failure. (MTBF) If that failure
rate is excessively above that the manufacturer should replace the systems for
the customer as a factory defect.

  We buy hundreds of systems at a time, when you add shipping and handling of
the units into the mix there are always going to be the DOA ones or the ones
that have issues out of the box because a memory chip got knocked loose or
something.

  Pick your poison and stick with it.

  Jim

Steve Snyder < wrote:
  Just curious as to what people buy for corporate desktop PCs. We have been a
Dell shop for a few years, but their handling of the bulging capacitors issue
as well as the pain of dealing with their tech support over the phone when we
RMA stuff (I have to play "guess who we bought the PCs from") has annoyed me
enough to look at other options. The only other big players that I can think of
are HP/Compaq and IBM - anyone using their newest stuff that'd care to report
on them? Reliability, price and enterprise management are my main concerns.

thanks.

Jim Kenzig
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Services
  Citrix Technology Professional