[windows2000] Re: OT - Budget AMD gaming system and gaming madness

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:52:10 +0100

Oh right, well in that case I tend to stick with ABit for my
motherboard (am considering the MSI nforce4 lanparty board for my next
one though! SLI goodness, mmmm! :) ). Ever since the P3 came out I've
been with AMD for the proc, and theyve never let me down either.

HD doesnt tend to matter nowadays as theyre all pretty darn fast. I
doubt you could go wrong with SATA, but i've not made the jump yet,
just make sure its got enough space and that magic 8mb cache!

Graphics card manufacturers dont really matter, theyre all wusses and
stick to the reference design, apart from ASUS and Gainward it seems.
Asus stick on extra meaningless features (for a gamer) which push the
price up, but Gainward overclock theirs as their components are
supposed to be higher (theyre nvidia only, so supposedly get access to
"special things"). They made my current card which im mighty chuffed
about! It matters more ATI/Nvidia, but then that depends on what sort
of things you want to play - games are getting very polarised now.
Doom3 loves Nvidia hardware much much more than ATI's, but then Half
Life 2 works somewhat faster on ATI, than Nvidia! It all depends on
your experiences imo :)

Eesh I've been rambling..

Andrew