[windows2000] Re: OT: Arguments for a bigger monitor

  • From: "Ray Costanzo" <ray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:29:38 -0400

OT posts are my favorite.  Personally, I don't really "get" widescreen
monitors (or TVs for that matter).  Aside from Excel, I can't think of a
single program in which I frequently find myself scrolling from side to
side.  Almost all of my scrolling is done vertically.  So, the additional
width does not really gain much.  Additionally, when you're talking about
physical space on a desk, unless you're working in a crawl space, you're
going to reach your width limit before you reach your height limit.  So, if
you maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio, you actually wind up losing screen space.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I see 16:9 just as that - losing height, not
gaining width.  This is also part of the reason that I won't install any
toolbars in my browsers and run as few toolbars as possible in any
applications that I use.  Here I am using a widescreen laptop, and if I were
to install all these toolbars that are constantly trying to get forcefed
down my throat, every web page I'd go to would have four feet of white space
on either side of the content (or one side) and be only about 1" high of
actual content, especially when you consider all the arrogant logos that
designers like to waste vertical space with on web pages.

As for TV's, I have an entertainment center, and in it, I have a TV that is
as wide as I can get into it.  Above the TV, I have about 8 inches of space.
This is a 4:3 TV.  If I were to replace it with a 16:9 TV, I would indeed be
losing height, not gaining width, since I've reached my width limit.

So, if you get the widescreens, just make sure they're able to be rotated 90
degrees for your cynical employees like me.  :)

Ray