[windows2000] Networking Question

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:56:39 -0400

I have to figure out a way to get some additional network connections to =
a location in our building for a bunch of thin clients and wireless =
tablets.  That location currently has one connection already.  I need it =
to have about 8.=20

This location is about 400' from my main communications room where the =
main switch is located.  To get the existing connection there, it goes =
through a hub which is right in the middle. =20

SWITCH ----200'----> HUB ----200'----> outlet.

I was thinking about adding a switch in with the hub for that connection =
then adding another switch at the end for all the extra devices I need.

SWITCH ----200'----> HUB
SWITCH ----200'----> SWITCH----200'----> outlet -> SWITCH =3D=3D>> =
Devices

The hub is already full and all the new connections I need are in the =
same place.  I have two runs of cable from the main switch to the hub =
but only one is used.

Am I inviting disaster by stringing that many switches together.  Would =
it be better to use a repeaters or something rather than a switch?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Greg