[windows2000] Re: Networking

>From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I have 2 pc's here - One with WinXP Pro, and one with Win2000Pro...
>The problem is that I cannot connect to either of the pc's from the
>other ;(
>I have tried with file/print sharing both on and off on both pc's and
>with/without firewall, but no luck so far... It's annoying to move the
>files between them on a disk ;)
>And both have of course the same workgroupname....
>The message I get is: Cannot connect to 'workgroupname'

We could use some more info about your setup, but here is a basic checklist
of things to go over:

1) Ensure both machines are turned on
2) If you're running a straight cable between NICs then make sure its a
crossover not a standard.
3) If you don't have a DHCP server make sure that you've set both machines
to static addresses, their addresses are not the same, and are on the same
subnet.
4) Ping each machine from the other, if this doesn't work nothing else will.
5) Turn off the firewall on the XP machine, and make sure it's not in
bridging mode.
6) Make sure that the machine names for each machine are unique.
7) Ensure that they are both in the same workgroup by renaming the workgroup
on each machine to "HOME", that should cover any possible typos you might
have made.
8) Enable the view connection in system tray checkbox so that you can
visually track weather or not you have a flaky connection.
9) If you're connected using a hub or switch, reset it, and try plugging the
cables into different ports.
10) If you're connected using a router check the routing table, and make
sure that both boxes can ping the router and each other.

I could go on but that should be enough to get you started.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."