[windows2000] Re: Network/Internet Monitoring

  • From: "Beckett, William (Bill)" <WBECKETT@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:14:35 -0400

Wireshark is very good for a free tool

________________________________

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Berny Stapleton
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 7:01 PM
To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [windows2000] Re: Network/Internet Monitoring

Network Monitor, it's available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=18b1d59d-f4d8-4
213-8d17-2f6dde7d7aac&displaylang=en

Most of the ethereal developers left ethereal and "forked" the project,
but ethereal is no longer under active development.

Details here: http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q1.2

Basically, get Wireshark, it's the updated version of ethereal. A
company I do work for has WinPcap in their standard build, and they test
everything extensively, so I wouldn't be too worried about it;
especially in an SBS situation. If you are that worried get Network
Monitor, it's supported by Microsoft in case you have any major
problems. My personal preference would be Wireshark as it seems to have
more protocol decodes, if all you are after is to see top talkers
though, either will do the trick.

Berny

On 01/11/2007, Timothy R. Mangan <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        Wireshark is the new ethereal.  I guess they had a naming
conflict with somebody.  It's free and has a good set of filters.

        Also Microsoft has a free tool, I think called "Microsoft
Monitor".

        From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:
windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ] On Behalf Of Christine Allen
        Posted At: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:40 PM
        Posted To: Windows 2000
        Conversation: Network/Internet Monitoring
        Subject: [windows2000] Network/Internet Monitoring

        Hello,

        I have a client who is running an SBS server that's public and
private nics are pegged at 100% (using perfmom).  Does anyone know of a
free (or one that offers a demo) utility that I can use relatively fast
to see what /or who is generating all this traffic?  Thanks

        Regards,

        Christine Allen, MCSE

        Engineer II
        MicroData Group, Inc.