[windows2000] Re: Network/Internet Monitoring

  • From: "Berny Stapleton" <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:00:36 +0000

Network Monitor, it's available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=18b1d59d-f4d8-4213-8d17-2f6dde7d7aac&displaylang=en

Most of the ethereal developers left ethereal and "forked" the project, but
ethereal is no longer under active development.

Details here: http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q1.2

Basically, get Wireshark, it's the updated version of ethereal. A company I
do work for has WinPcap in their standard build, and they test everything
extensively, so I wouldn't be too worried about it; especially in an SBS
situation. If you are that worried get Network Monitor, it's supported by
Microsoft in case you have any major problems. My personal preference would
be Wireshark as it seems to have more protocol decodes, if all you are after
is to see top talkers though, either will do the trick.

Berny