[windows2000] Network Shares

  • From: cej4108@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles E. James)
  • To: windows2000profandadvserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,Windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,"'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"@freelists.org,windows2000pro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:46:28 -0400

Hi, All

I have two worstations, one Win2KPro and the other NT4.0.

I have both on a network with seperate IP addresses, etc.

I have both in a workgroup.

I have both with:
   Client for Microsoft Networks
   File and Printer sharing for Microsoft
   TCP/IP

I have shared the appropriate files and folders.

I have entered the workgroup in the Users and Groups under Administration Tools
with appropriate permissions.

Both have unique computer names and both the same workgroup, etc.

I still can not see the other computer (from either end) in Network
Neighborhood. I have tried to map to the other computer (from either end) with
no luck. I even set the passwords the same on both machines, just in case...

Q: Did I miss something?
Q: I didn't install NetBIOS or NetBEUI, should I install NetBIOS? should I
install NetBEUI (I know this works well in workgroup but thought it caused
network access problems to internet, etc.)?

Your kind assistance is greatly appreciated!

--
Charles E. James, Programmer/Analyst
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley California