[windows2000] Re: Need some basic instruction in networking

  • From: francine heiligman <fheiligman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:22:52 -0800 (PST)

for starters, I have always been told to think of the csu/dsu as a modem of
sorts.  One is needed at both ends of a T-1 or T-3 line, and both set for same
sommunitactions standards.  Yuor csu/dsu should be connected to a switch or
router.  Have you logged into switches or routers, if ISP says it is not on
their end (cough, cough)

Francine Heiligman
CCA
Network Administrator

Rod Falanga <rfalanga@xxxxxxx> wrote:
For about 6 weeks now we have been experiencing really horrible connectivity
problems. We have a T1 line, but our network speeds to the Internet have
been abysmal at best. I have run some tests using DSLReports.com and have
found speeds as low as 14 kbps!!!

I've contacted Qwest and they have run some tests on our line from our
office to the ISP. They have informed me that everything is fine.

So, the problem, as I see it, is either here in our building, somewhere
(server, router, cables, something), or at the other end. I've tried
replacing cables, and have done what I could to replace all of the CAT-5
cables I could fine, but sometimes some cables are connected to things I
don't understand. For example, we've got something called a T1 CSU/DSU. I
don't have the foggiest idea what that is. And replacing CAT-5 cables on
that this just makes us loose our Internet connectivity completely.

So, what are things like CSU/DSU? Or, let's put it differently, starting at
the ISP who supplies us with T1 access, what "things" are in between that
and the NIC card in my edge server?

Rod