[windows2000] Re: NT machines and WINS

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:21:37 -0700

From: Frank Monroe <Frank.Monroe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
How does stopping WINS decrease network traffic?  When you have no WINS
server your down-level clients must use broadcasts to find domain
controllers which is an INCREASE in network traffic.  And, if the DC's are
in other subnets, they won't be found at all.

Yeah, that sounds like a bad idea. On an NT machine the lookup process goes like this:

If you eliminate WINS I think you're going to have huge broadcast storms unless you manually edit your resolution order. (Though I'm pretty sure you can do that, just don't ask me how I'm not an NT guy)

Chris Berry
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."

Get 10MB of e-mail storage! Sign up for Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es