[windows2000] Re: Moving SQL DB's

  • From: "Tony Lyne" <Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:15:25 +1300

Have a look at MS KB articles Q224071, Q314546 and Q246133

Ive been using them to move Databases to a SAN on 4 SQL servers and it works
well. Had zero problems.

The way I see it is that once you do a sp_detach, you should be able to move
the db to another location or sp_attach it again to a new server location. I
guess accounts and security is the only thing you have to sort out and make
sure you have down-pat.

I haven't done this with an MSDE to SQL upgrade but it works with moving db
locations between servers and also to different storage locations. So I would
assume a similar method should work with your upgrade.

Tony Lyne
Senior Systems Engineer
Computerland Central
P O Box 1470
PALMERSTON NORTH
Telephone (+64) 06 3537300
Facsimile (+64) 06 3566800
Mobile (+64) 0274 720696
E-mail Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Internet http://www.computerland.co.nz
CAUTION: This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that
is confidential and subject to privilege. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify me immediately and delete all material pertaining to
this e-mail. Thank you.