[windows2000] Re: Mirroring two users Favorites?

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:42:37 +0200

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:40:35 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:

Think I found the problem (just after sending the mail...).

I tried to change

>HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell
>Folders\Favorites

instead of

>HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Favorites

Oh, well... 8*)

>>I use the same procedure to redirect the user's IE history folder, so that
>>their history folder travels with them from Terminal server to Terminal
>>Server.
>>
>>I have guys that visit bid-board web sites, and if they can't see what they
>>visited yesterday (by the different colored links) then they are lost... but
>>because I round-robin-DNS'ed my terminal servers, there is no guarantee that
>>they will hit the same terminal server every day.
>>
>>And the last thing I wanted was to have the history in their roaming
>>profile... that adds about 2 minutes to the logon and logoff times...
>>
>>BTW, if you ever get any weird windows installed messages while using these
>>accounts, blame it on this registry entry first... the message is something
>>like "Invalid drive V:" or something similar.  But, as a work around, I just
>>change them back to %USERPROFILE%\Favorites when I need to do an install.
>>
>>And since users don't do installations (right?) they will never be impeded by
>>it...
>
>My computer crashed badly the other day, and took the FS with it.
>Had to reinstall the whole thing and set it up as before.
>
>However. when I used regedit to set the shared favorites thingie,
>it refused to keep the setting, always reverting to the original
>"%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"-line.
>
>Any idea as what may be wrong?
>
>I have the same permissions and all setup as before.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#