[windows2000] Re: Microsoft Windows 2000 Update Rollup Announcement

  • From: Jim Walls <k6ccc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:36:17 -0800

Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net wrote:

No that is a bunch of hooey... maybe the desktop version but not the server

"Charles R. Buchanan" < wrote:

    Speaking of the final service pack, have you heard anything on MS ending
    support on W2K after the first of the year? I read that in a local
    computer mag, but no where else.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:13:33 -0800, "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net"; had this to say:

    JKh> No SP5 just a Rollup package!

Edited from: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin

(hopefully I got these to look right as dumb text)...

Product Name Mainstream Support Extended Support Windows 2000 Advanced Server 30-Jun-2005 30-Jun-2010 Windows 2000 Data Center 30-Jun-2005 30-Jun-2010 Windows 2000 Enterprise Ed. 30-Jun-2005 30-Jun-2010 Windows 2000 Pro 30-Jun-2005 30-Jun-2010

The two dates are the retirement dates for Mainstream and Extended support. So, mainstream support for all Win2K versions ends in 7 months...

And from http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy:

Support provided Mainstream Extended

Paid support (per-incident, per hour,
                          and others)         X          X
Security update support                       X          X
Non-security hotfix support                   X       Note 1
No-charge incident support                    X
Warranty claims                               X
Design changes and feature requests           X
Product-specific information that is
   available by using the online
   Microsoft Knowledge Base                   X          X
Product-specific information that is
   available by using the Support site
   at Microsoft Help and Support to find
   answers to technical questions             X          X

Note 1:
Requires extended hotfix agreement, purchased within 90 days of mainstream support ending.
Jim Walls - K6CCC
Ofc: 818-548-4804
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395