[windows2000] Re: Logoff Problem

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JAnderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 12:46:49 -0800

>From: "Jeff Anderson" <JAnderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>I had something similar at a client when we made some GP changes.
>Delete the user profile and then see if that fixes it.

Tried that, temporarily fixed the problem, but it came back.

>Seems like the
>userprofile gets corrupted if the user was logged on during the GP
>change.  That was our experience anyway (those that weren't logged in
>during the change are fine, those that where logged in during the
>change had the exact same problem).

That was my initial thought as well, but I've made plenty of other GP
changes while people were on with little effect.

>Have the user using ctrl+alt+del and choose logoff - probably works >just
>fine - again, this was from our experience.  Our solution was to >use GP
>and remove the logoff function
>from the start menu and force users to use ctrl+alt+del - once they get
>used to it, its no problem.

Yeah, tried that too, no dice, if the solution were that easy I wouldn't
have posted it.

>Their environment is amost completely
>automated, so every couple of month we kill profiles anyway (what users
>really need is recreated with scripts, etc. and their favorites, etc.
>are always saved).

Can't do that here, too much preference data is stored in there, and they're
real picky, heck I even back up peoples profiles.

Chris Berry
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that
keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."