[windows2000] Re: Keeping two wireless networks separate

  • From: "Kevin Alexander" <kalexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:02:31 +0100

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.  The Leaf Bering router looks like Linux to me
and I'm a M$ boy, so I'd better steer clear!  Must not be unfaithful to
Billy.

The RJ45 splitter isn't going to work:
http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/RJ45SPLITTER.htm?x=22
<http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/RJ45SPLITTER.htm?x=22&y=17> &y=17

it needs a splitter at the other end.

So, I have two separate networks (ignore the fact they are both wireless -
that's sorted by using different channels, thanks Corey). Both have
firewalls/routers at the end, and then link into a hub that connects to
broadband.  If, for example, one network is on 192.168.1.x. and the other on
192.168.2.x, both firewalls (with different IP address on the broadband
router range) then use NAT to forward to the internal IP of the broadband
router, but it hits an unmanaged hub with no IP first.

That seems to make sense to me, but I'm still unsure whether the 192.168.1.x
network would be able to see the 192.168.2.x network.

Any ideas?