[windows2000] Re: Keeping two wireless networks separate

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:37:03 -0400

You may have to get creative.

My internet connection came with a 4 port router and five IP addresses.  I use
one for my main network and it goes into the firewall.  Then I use the other
for my access point.  The access point has one of the remaining IP addresses
and the Access point acts as a remaining DHCP server for the remaining ones.
That keeps them completely off my network and on the outside of my firewall.

I use MAC address filtering to make sure that only the wireless cards I give
them work so nobody else tries using it.  So far, it's worked well.  I use the
D-Link DWL-900AP+ access point because D-Link wireless equipment rocks and it
is less than $100.

Greg