[windows2000] Re: Internet Only PC

  • From: "Andrew Duey" <lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:07:34 -0500

Internet Only PCSorry for the late reply but just getting caught up after a
vacation . . .

Check out a product called DeepFreeze (http://www.faronics.com/)  For public
access terminals it is by far the best solution out there.  It undoes 100% of
all changes on every reboot when it's frozen.  I've used this for public access
terminals in hotels and found out about it after checking it out in the public
labs at the local university.  It's sub $50 per seat.

It does something like write to a virtual HD instead of the real HD.  You can
leave the machine as loose as you want, let them install toolbars, viruses, and
anything else and on the next reboot it will all be undone (including cookies,
passwords, etc).

After talking with the university network admin when challanged to break a
frozen computer, I opened regedit, and deleted the entire HKLM registry key and
most of the windows folder, the machine locked (rather pissed off) then I
pulled the power cord.  When the machine booted backup it was as though I'd
never been there!

If you're still looking for a solution, I think this may be it.  The only
problem I ran into is that periocally the machines must be unfrozen to add
patches & AV Def updates since they are wiped out after each reboot.

--Andrew Duey, MCSE
Duey's Computer Service, Inc.