[windows2000] IP Addresses

  • From: "Farrugia, Paul" <pfarrugia@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:14:52 -0500

Hi,

Sorry if this is a little confusing, this is the first time I am dealing
with something like this and I am trying to word this as best I as I
can...

All of the computers (workstations and servers) on my network are on a
public ip address range. They are currently using the scope of
208.196.79.1-208.196.79.250. It has been like this since before I was
here. Does anyone see a problem with this???
From various threads I have read I see that most networks are configured
on a private ip range ...192.168.1. xxx...anyway...I wanted to know if
this something that I should be looking to change? Is this just common
practice or is there a reason for it?

I know that changing the ip's on my servers will be more a pain then I
need right now but as far as the workstations go..would I just have to
create a new scope and have the DHCP server give out those addresses?

Thanks in advance for any help

Paul.