[windows2000] Re: How to fix a WUP-refusal connections

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:06:21 +0100

I had some WUP-settings set before the crash. Those only preset the time and
how to run the update checks and installs (I don't want WUP installing
automatically on my servers). I have the same settings set now though. In fact
I tried disabling all those WUP-policies so that the clients would allow
everything WUP, and then tried connecting manually to WUP. Didn't work.

Furthermore, on a test machine, I uninstalled IE8 and got back to the standard
IE6 you get with WinXP when doing a standard install. Afterwards the automatic
install immediately found updates to IE6, which I installed. Upon reboot I ran
WUP manually, and this worked!

I then installed IE8, and got the error message in the previously attached
screen dump. Uninstalling IE8 again and having IE6, WUP worked again.
Reinstalling IE8 yet again, gave me the error again. Feels like IE8 is doing
something, don't you think?

FWIW, more info: I do have a *transparent* squid-proxy, but the
Windows-machines doesn’t know anything about it, ie nothing is set in Windows
so as to let it know it should use a proxy at all. The transparent proxy’s been
enabled for years now, and the Windows clients, and WUP, has been working like
a charm, using it until the AD-crash. The only thing the Windows machines know
about this firewall-appliance is that it is the default gateway. As for the
services the firewall provides, they are ignorant as far as I know.

Surfing the rest of the internet works fine; mail, surf, P2P, Spotify, even
Voddler runs fine.

As seen from the screen dump I’ve changed the IE window title somewhat (”...
provided by Skynet-TNG”), but that shouldn’t make any difference should it?
It’s not a user agent string per se, right?

I also have a 1ry caching AD-DNS internally and a 2ry, ditto caching, DNS as a
backup. All entries there are listed ok for all internal clients. The two
AD-DNS machines know about my ISP’s external DNS’s so they can forward
resolution requests properly. Other than that it's a pretty plain-vanilla setup
AD. There are few GPO's set and active.

Insights and hints are welcome! Thanks.
--
/Sorin

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bern...
Do you have a proxy or anything else that might be changing something around?
(such as the useragent string)