[windows2000] Re: How often should you reboot your server - Best practice

  • From: Richard Bruce <richardbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:20:41 +0000

Early versions of Windows (and apps ported for Windows) were leaky and did not
release memory as well as the current versions. I was advised (by a consultant)
to reboot a Windows NT 4 server running Oracle (6?) about once a week and the
unexplained Oracle errors did seem to go away. But with newer versions of
Windows... not so sure. I have seen reboots free up resources on Windows 2K &
2k3 servers. And if the server is running with minimal RAM, once a week might
just help clean up event logs and improve performance. But as Pat said - at
what risk? Of course, a reboot might also expose some probem that would
otherwise escape detection because we did not pay attention to those logs, etc.

But with a Windows 2k3 running apps ported for Win 2k3 and enough RAM to run
them (not just the minimum) a weekly reboot seems like a little overkill to me
as well. If you're getting errors, then maybe you should be looking at the
app(s) and what else is running on the server. Maybe some unnecessary services?

Rich

From: sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [windows2000] Re: How often should you reboot your server - Best
practice
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:17:05 +0200

Sounds like he’s dealt too much with win2k workstations and early xp’s in the
past. ;-)

--
/Sorin