[windows2000] How do I re-establish the anonymous account as the one used, in Directory Security

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <AbqVBug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <AZDNUG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:33:51 -0600

I have been given the task of making an ASP.NET application work using forms
authentication, but authenticate against Active Directory (on a Windows 2000 AD
domain).  I've found a MSDN article discussing how to do this (326340).  Among
all of the instructions that article 326340 give, one of them is to change the
account used in IIS (on the Directory Security tab for the relevant website)
from the anonymous account to an account that has access to AD.  I've already
set up such an account and using a test website (identical to the article
326340) I have found that it works.

However, if I wanted to change the website back to using the anonymous account,
how do I do that?  The anonymous account has a name like IUSR_<machinename>.
It is created, I assume, when IIS gets added to a machine.  I have no idea
whatsoever what the password is for the IUSR_<machinename> account, so if I
wanted to go back to it, how do I do that?

Rod Falanga
http://amci.unm.edu