[windows2000] Re: HP printers and Windows Server 2003

  • From: Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:22:58 -0500

the only catch I could find with Oki is that you have to buy oki toner and
not refills.  their toner is different than other lasers.  they also
separate the toner from the drum.  that is the main reason the toner is
cheaper.  you only have to replace the drum about every three or four
toners.

www.compudirect.net has a pretty good explanation of why the Oki toner is
different.  Basically, it is a low heat toner that melts at a lower temp
than others.

http://compudirect.net/oki/okidata_toner_is_special.htm

I also think they are still living down a bad reputation they earned in the
late 90's/early 2000's when they stuff was poor quality.

they are really LED printers and not Laser from a technical standpoint.

http://compudirect.net/oki/led_versus_laser.htm

this all started for me back when HP changed from the 4000 to the 4100.  We
had 4000s deployed all over the place and then needed more and couldn't get
them.  They had been replaced by the 4100.  So we bought a bunch of those
only to find out the toners were compatible between the two.  I got pissed
and started buying the Oki's.  it worked out really well for us.  I could
also take their low end unit and plug then straight to a PC.  as needs
changed, i could add a network card and an extra papertray and have a nice
workgroup device.  I couldn't do that with the HP1100's we were buying as
personal printers at the time.