[windows2000] HP printers and Windows Server 2003

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:18:22 +0200

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations basically.

We have a new HP Laserjet P2055DN that just won't play nice with our
Win2k3-based printer server. After having searched the 'net and HP's support
site for a couple of hours, I've now found that the reason for this is most
likely HP's (host-based) Universal Printer Driver and the fact that the 2055DN
is a GDI-printer in disguise. In any case, it's just plain buggy and slow when
connected to the network and the printer server.

Connected over a usb-cable, it prints fast and nice, although it can't print
single-sided documents for some reason, it prints duplex whatever setting I
set... Flashed it to no avail... 8-/

So, would you guys have any recommendations on what to buy, that is an
honest-to-god real network printer like HP *used* to be five-six years ago?

I've heard Xerox is supposedly pretty good and that they normally don't have
this silly hidden host-based junk like most all HP have nowadays. But what
model should I look into you think?

Hints and recommendations appreciated! Thanks.
--
BW,
        Sorin