[windows2000] Re: File recovery

  • From: Jennifer Hooper <jennifer.hooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:05:33 -0700

Oh yeah, there's also DFS as an option too...

Jen

From: Jennifer Hooper
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:48:01 -0700

Message Undelete is quite good.... we have used it on file servers.
 The problem is, it doesn't work too well if the user calls 3 days later.
It's good for instanteous recovery:  Ooooops!  I just deleted the accounts
payable report templates... can you get it back?  Not:  Ummm.... I deleted
this file a week ago, can you get it back?  Or worse:  I overwrote this file
with the wrong version,
can you get it back?    These are where tapes save us.

Now.  That being said, there are SAN's/NAS's that do file snapshots, and
that is another way to get the data back instantly.
But this uses 2x the amount of disks as you have allocated.  It depends on
what you have available, as this is at the hardware level.

Jen

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bill Beckett
Posted At: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 8:59 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] File recovery
Subject: [windows2000] File recovery

What do you guys use for file recovery other than tape backup? For
instance, Netware has a program called filer which enables you to
instantly recover a deleted file until purged. What do you use for
a Windows equivalent on a 2000 file server when a file needs to be
recovered quickly?

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web:
http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5
signals >> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46
(0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# BOFH excuse follows: greenpeace free'd the mallocs