[windows2000] Re: Fair Charge

  • From: Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 09:28:30 -0500

for a friend or neighbor, i would say dinner and beers.

for my mother-in-law's co-workers cousin while I am visiting on
vacation -  $50. (this one actually happened last time I visited).

The downside is that you become their personal computer support tech
regardless of whether you charge them or not.  I helped my sister in
law get the viruses off the computer that her teenager infected a few
years ago.  that teenager is now at college with that computer and the
hard drive died.  Somehow, it is my fault because of what i did two
years ago.

I have a 256 MB usb flash drive on my keychain (HP was giving them
away at iForum) that I keep up to date with Autoruns, Ad-aware, and
the trend micro cleanup utility.  It has come in handy several times.
I generally don't charge people I help unless I don't know them but I
agree it is a pain in the ass.  My uncle is a surgeon and he can't
talk to anyone without them wanting a dagnosis for their headache
because they are convinced it is a tumor.  I'm usually just flattered
people think enough of my skills to seek my advice.

Greg