[windows2000] Exchange 2000: Have I done something wrong, in configuring this?

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <WINDOWS2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:53:25 -0600

As I mentioned on this list before, I had some hardware problems with my
Windows 2000 Server that hosted our Exchange 2000 Server.  I've put Exchange
onto a different box by using the /DisasterRecovery switch (to Exchange's SETUP
program) and then restored the information store from backup tape.

Well, I am no expert at Exchange, believe me.  One problem we have been having
is sending any email to any external source.  It just didn't leave out system.
I've been poking around and found an article on Tek-Tips which described a
similar problem.  In that article they guy mentioned that he had assigned an
external DNS server to his SMTP Virtual Server for testing purposes, but that
was causing him problems, so he removed it.  I went my Exchange's System
Manager, checked out my SMTP Virtual Server and found no external DNS
specified.  I specified a DNS and now, it appears as though our outbound email
is working.

But, I don't know if I have done the correct thing, or not?  I'd appreciate
some feedback on this, please.

Rod