[windows2000] Error when trying to demote a DC

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <WINDOWS2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:46:58 -0700

I would like to demote a couple of my servers that are domain =
controllers (I've got too many of them now).  But before I do, I'm =
taking a look at a log file my former boss, who was also our system =
administrator, had maintained.  Back in December 2001, he tried to =
demote one of the servers I also want to demote, but it ran into errors. =
 Here's what he wrote:

"Tried to demote server3.  It ran all night, generating userenv messages =
every 2-3 minutes.  Finally restarted server3 and dcpromo'ed it back to =
DC status."

So, before I do try to run dcpromo to demote it, what would likely to =
have caused the errors that he received?  (I'd like to avoid those =
errors and really demote it to a regular server.)

Rod Falanga