[windows2000] Re: Dead/dying server (maybe)

  • From: Neil Bullock <n.bullock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:44:49 +0000 (GMT)

<n.bullock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Up until a few days ago, it kept restarting for no obvious reason.  The
> Was it always at the same time?

Nope.  Seemingly random times.  A couple of times during a backup exec job,
a lot of the time when nobody at all was on the premises, and sometimes
in the middle of the working day.  Oddly enough, nobody ever the server
was down.

> > Anyway, it seems to have stopped playing that game in the last few days.
> > now it just slows to a crawl.  Task manager claims System Idle Process
> > using 7% CPU, and nothing else is using any, so we appear to be missing
> > 93% somewhere (this happened on my home server once and it was a dodgy
> > extremely hot processor).

> If you want to check the temp, try the BIOS? Does this server have a
> RAID array - is the array healthy??

I'll try the BIOS tomorrow (gone home now).  It has a RADI5 array, so that's
something else I'll look at tomorow.

> > Also recently, it's sometimes started taking people upwards of 3 minutes to
> Virus scanner?

Did a full virus scan recently.  Even resorted to doing an ad/spyware scan,
just in case.

> > I'm pondering doing a Win2k repair from the CD or something, and failing
> > that,
> > starting to think about demoting it to a member server to see what
> > I don't really suspect anything any more.  I'm just confused now.
> If you do, I'd make sure the CD is at the same SP level as the OS :)

:)  Will do.