[windows2000] DNS and the meaning of life

  • From: Brian Lilley <Brian.Lilley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:11:01 +0100

DNS dudes and dudettes...

I have built a windows 2000 server which has no DNS configured for it..and I
want to dcpromo this to a domain controller with an AD integrated  DNS
server... how should I be going about this..

As the server currently has no DNS configured, it obviously cannot find the
SRV records to locate the FQDN name of the AD domain I wish to join.. I had
to configure it with the DNS name of an existing DC and then connect... how
do I now tell this server that is is also going to be an AD integrate DNS -
in otherwords, for my limited understanding of DNS, a new primary DNS server
just like the other primary DNS servers in this AD forest...

am i making any sense at all?

Brian Lilley
Systems Integration

t +44(0)1249 665421
m +44(0)7929 002501
e brian.lilley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended
only for the individuals named above.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you should be aware that any
dissemination, distribution, forwarding or other duplication
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  The views
expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual author
and not necessarily those of Vivista Limited.
Prior to taking any action based upon this e-mail message
you should seek appropriate confirmation of its authenticity.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
notify the sender by using the e-mail reply facility.

This message has been checked for all known viruses on behalf of Vivista by

http://www.messagelabs.com or Email: mailsweeper.info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vivista formerly Securicor Information Systems for further information