[windows2000] Re: Conundrum: ICF and MSBlast

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:23:22 +0200

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:28:31 -0700, Chris Berry wrote:

>>I was infected by MSBlast the other day and hit again while repairing
>>it yet I was running Internet Connection Firewall (default config
>>including logging and no services enabled)
>>
>>As Microsoft points out in MS03-026, "If you are using the Internet
>>Connection Firewall in Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 to protect your
>>Internet connection, it will by default block inbound RPC traffic from
>>the Internet."
>>
>>Okay I should have patched anyway but the firewall should have
>>protected me. I checked the settings while I was patching and was hit
>>again...
>>
>>Logs show nothing at all.
>>
>>How was I infected?
>
>Because the built in XP firewall is about as effective as a pile of
>spitwads.  You should upgrade to zone alarm or IPCOP or somthing that has a
>little more punch.

Is running a software firewall on a server (DC?) really feasible?
After allowing for okayed traffic I'd say it's pretty much open
anyway (relatively speaking)... Anybody have insights on this
issue?

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\