[windows2000] Re: Complex passwords

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:37:47 +0200

On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:53:02 -0500, Freitas, Eduardo wrote:

>Personally, I do not like the idea of using addresses and other personal
>information directly on a password. It would make it much easier for someone
>to guess your password as you all know.

Yeah, social engineering is still a common practice as I understand
it. I've, before we started with complex passwords policy, managed
to guess some of my user's passwords in two to three tries. When
this has happened they've been astonished, as if I'd done a magic
trick... Duh! 8-)

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# Wit levels low. Attempting to compensate.