[windows2000] Re: Complex or long passwords?

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:33:51 +0100

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:24:16 -0000, Angus Macdonald wrote:

>I suppose it depends on the environment. If there's a risk of people being
>observed entering a password, it seems more sensible to have something long
>that can be typed in easily and quickly in preference to something short
>that's hard (and therefore slow) to type.

I was thinking along those same lines.

There are users coming to my office on a regular basis to ask why
they can't use this or that password. It's almost like they can't
grasp the complex-password mental state or something. So I figured
I'd easy up the pwd-burden on me, and at the same time make it
easier for the users.

AFAICS the max passphrase in win2k3 is sixteen (16) chars. Is this
correct?

I thought it was possible to have more like 32 or some such.

[OT]Your tag is even longer than mine BTW. You ever get piqued for
that? 8-)[/OT]

BW,

Sorin