[windows2000] Re: Changing printer name in Win 2K

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:55:12 -0800

From: "Drew Shriner" <drew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
The page you mentioned isn't correct on the Novell Network I now manage
- and I haven't seen that work on other Novell networks either. I
_THINK_ that you are able to rename "public" NDPS printers, but not
"private" ones (ones that are restricted. All of our printers are
declared private - meaning you must be logged onto the network via a
Novell client before you can print.

Note the emphasis on think... I'm not sure that this is correct.

Ok, here are some questions:

How is the printer attached to the network? (Workstation, Server, Direct)
Is the Printer NDPS-aware? If not, what kind of gateway are you using?
If you're using a Controlled Access Printer, can't you just use NetWare Administrator to change the name value of the leaf object?
If that didn't work, why can't you just delete and recreate the printer agent with the new name?
Have you tried changing the name in the Novell Printer Manager on the workstation?
Have you tried the Novell forums? http://support.novell.com/forums/

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." --Darth Vader

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)