[windows2000] Re: Can't view shares on one computer

  • From: Brian Lilley <Brian.Lilley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:24:43 +0100

Art, the machine may be appearing in the network places thing because
perhaps you have Netbeui configured as a protocol and therefore the machine
is working at this level.  Having said that however, if the network places /
MS browsing was working, you would expect to be able to view its shares.

Try doing a net send to this machine, and see if it rcvs messages... also...
you could run NETMON, installable through control panel/add components...
this is a network packet sniffer and will allow you to view packets  coming
into the win2k box.... so you will be able to see if your ping (ICMP) and
ARP packets ever actually get to the win2k box.

these are just areas to shimmy around in, but will probably help you
understand the problem better.