[windows2000] Can boot into safe mode but not safe mode with networking

  • From: "Toby Bierly" <toby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:31:39 -0800

Sorry, this is actually a question with an XP system, but does anyone know the
specifics of the differences between a boot into Safe Mode vs. Safe Mode with
Networking.  I've got a desktop that will boot into Safe Mode, but upon a Safe
Mode with Networking, a Diagnostic Startup (w/ msconfig), or a Normal boot up,
will intermittently freeze.  That is, it will freeze for 5-15 seconds and then
act fine for 3-5 seconds, then freeze, then act fine.

What would be the next step to troubleshoot this?

I just did a Repair Install of XP.  Before that, instead of freezing, then
working, it just froze forever somewhere between just before the login screen
appeared to 30 seconds after logging in.

I tried doing a sfc /scannow from Safe Mode, but it won't let me, something
about the RPC Server not on.  I've done a chkdsk using the recovery console and
it found and fixed errors (before the Repair Install).  Before that, it would
just reboot at the Windows XP logo over and over.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Should I uninstall all network drivers using
Device Manager or something like that?  How can I pinpoint what exactly is
causing it?

Thanks,
Toby