[windows2000] Backups

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oclug@xxxxxxxxx, windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:40:17 -0800

Currently we use a 60gb Onstream Tape drive and Veritas Backup Exec to backup our data nightly to tape. The tape drives are not that great, and we're only getting about 6000 hours meantime between failure, in addition the restore success rate is only about 95% (As in it fails about one time in 20, so if I have a month of backups one of them is probably bad). Considering the low cost of the tape drives ($350) this isn't that surprising, but I don't have the budget available to buy a decent system ($5k-$12k).

There is a small subset of our data (the database dat files) that is both mission critical and very time sensitive (currently about 2.3gb worth, but growing about a meg a day). Because of the way the databse works there cannot be any competing file access (a file locking issue) so I can't use any kind of hot backup system. So far while I've been working here there have been a number of times where we've had to restore from the previous day's backup which is bad enough but not my fault, however on three occassions, we had to go more than one day back because the data wouldn't restore properly.

I would like to minimize the possibility of this multi-day rollback, but I have very little budget to accomplish this. Less than a thousand dollars up front or two hundred a month (most likely). I'm considering implementing some sort of second backup system, possibly an online backup. Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, ideas, etc.?

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy patented spam control and more. Get two months FREE! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa