[windows2000] Re: Alternative to Symantec Backup exec

  • From: "James Lilly" <LillyJ@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:27:09 -0400

It is not a problem with Symantec/Veritas per se, it is a problem with
the way that BackupExec and other backup software handle mailbox and
mail item backups.

If you look at the way your backup is structured, you are probably
doing your Storage Group backups, then having BackupExec back up all the
mailboxes as well.

The way backup software backs up individual mailboxes is that it
connects to the mailbox just like a client would.  Therefore, when you
disable an account, nobody, INCLUDING the backup software, can access
the mailbox.

The same problem happens if you delete a user, because the mailbox
hangs around for the deleted mailbox retention period with no account
available to access it.

I don't know that there is any way to get around the problem other than
removing the users from the backup selection, in your case.  If it was a
deleted user, you could purge the mailbox, but then you lose the ability
to reconnect the mailbox.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, it's just the price we pay for
having a better backup than just the information store/storage group
backups.  :(

However, if anyone else out there has a better answer, I'd love to hear
it.  :)

>>> london31uk@xxxxxxxxx 10/18/2005 5:07 AM >>>
Hi Guys,
We have been having all sorts of problems with our backup, some
attributed to the above software, and others to Bad Tapes as I suspect.
The main problem we see with Backup exec V10, is that if you disable a
users account, Backup exec finds it difficult to backup that users
mailbox. I suspect that was not the case with earlier versions, say from
Backup exec throuws up all these untidy errors, that my boss is
begining to think the whole software is not worth it. I have worked with
the product for over 6yrs and I know contrary.
Has anyone experienced this problem before and how did you get around
it, short of taking out disbaled users from the backup selection.

New Site from The Kenzig Group!
Windows Vista Links, list options
and info are available at: