[windows2000] Re: All of the printers disappear on our terminal server

  • From: "Jim Hathaway" <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:32:24 -0800

I'm probably not the Jim you're thinking of Glenn. :)

But I found a link to this handy util . . not on thethin.net though.
Perhaps Mr kenzig will re-upload it.

http://www.printingsupport.com/tools/

BTW Rod, is this a Citrix environment, or are you just running plan old
terminal services with client's making RDP connections?

In troubleshooting printer drivers your best friend will be your servers
event logs, generally the app log (depending on how aggressive you're
logging printer errors), will tell you Exactly what driver was trying to
be used right before the services dropped.

HTH

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rod Falanga
Posted At: Thursday, December 02, 2004 9:50 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: All of the printers disappear on our terminal server
server

Glenn,

I tried searching for pmanage on TheThin.net, but couldn't find it.
What is the program (not the executable) called?

Rod

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Hathaway
Posted At: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 11:50 AM Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] Re: All of the printers disappear on our
terminal server
server

Generally . . if they ALL just disappear. The spooler service is already
stopped.=20

Ray's right, check the event logs, and check your services next time it
happens. Very likely you've got a bad print driver in there or a client
trying to upload a bad print driver that's hosing things up.=20

Also, you can change the way your printer info is logged in the event
log by opening up the printers folder on the server. Go to, File -
Server Properties - Advanced. And change your log settings to include
more info.=20

HTH

Notice: This transmission contains confidential information intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  Any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or action in reliance on the contents of this
transmission is strictly prohibited by anyone except the party to whom it is
addressed.