[windows2000] Alert: New trojan email Sysbug

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:46:56 -0500

I know that none of you would open an email purporting to have porn but just
in case....
JK

Trojan Horse Making Its Way Into Windows Systems

November 25, 2003
By  Dennis Fisher

A new Trojan horse hidden in an e-mail purported to be carrying pornographic
pictures is beginning to make the rounds on the Internet.

The Trojan is known as Sysbug and provides its creator with a backdoor into
infected systems running versions of Windows from 95 through XP. It copies
itself to the Windows installation folder and also adds a new registry entry
that ensures the Trojan will run every time the PC starts up.

Once resident on a computer, Sysbug is capable of copying a variety of data
about the machine and sending it back to its creator, according to Sophos
Inc., an anti-virus company based in Lynnfield, Mass. The Trojan gathers
data on e-mail accounts and remote access accounts, then opens TCP port 5555
and listens for commands from its author.

The Trojan arrives in an e-mail with an attachment that is zipped and
contains an executable. The e-mail begins:

"Hello my dear Mary,

I have been thinking about you all night. I would like to apologize for the
other night when ?"

The message then goes into more explicit detail.

The e-mail comes from james2003