[windows2000] Re: Additional host names

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:02:57 -0500

Yup, but you'd probably need additional NICs.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/e760737e-9e55-458
d-b5ed-a1ae9e04819e1033.mspx?mfr=true

If you manually set a connection's DNS name entry, it will dynamically
register it.

So, if you are testing, put in a second NIC, and set it up with the DNS
name you want.  Then do 'IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS' and it should register
what you want.

Tough to test with though, since you need a NIC for each name.

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

________________________________

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Costanzo, Ray
Posted At: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:45 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: Additional host names
Subject: [windows2000] Additional host names

Hi group,

Is there a way for me to add additional host names to a network
connection such that they'd get registered in our DNS server?  I don't
have the rights to add aliases in DNS here at work or anything, and it's
a pain to tell people to add stuff to their hosts files so that they can
see the various test Web sites on my test server.  (Not looking for an
IIS solution to this - I'm going to stick with using host headers.  I'm
just wondering if I can add host names that will register in DNS the
same way that my primary host name does)

Thanks,

Ray at work