[windows2000] Re: Adding W2K Server to C:

  • From: "Robert Murray" <rwmtech@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:25:24 -0700

> No, he wants to install W2k Server without formatting the server...   =
> Probably to save his data...

Right - not from scratch anyway.  I backed everything up, but I do have two
folders I want to leave there and not restore if possible.  The "clean
install" procedures requires (I believe) a full format that would wipe out
whatever is on the partition, such as boot files for the Pro system on D:,
right?  As in, create the partition, format, etc.

> Just install W2k Server from the CD, Select the current Fat32 partition =
> and leave it alone.  Server will install on the Fat32 volume..  Once the =
> install is complete, you can convert it to NTFS 5 if you want the =
> security, reliability, etc...  Just type Convert C: /FS:NTFS from a =
> command line to convert to NTFS.

I do want the security, etc., and need it to convert to a domain controller,
as I understand it.   Didn't know about the command-line command - thanks