[windows2000] Adding W2K Server to C:

  • From: "Robert Murray" <rwmtech@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:32:49 -0700

Greetings.

I would like to install W2K Server on a system at home, as a DC.  It started
out originally as W98, which I used until I added W2K Pro (dual boot), and
have since completely switched over to Pro.  W98 is on C:, W2K on D:.  I've
just removed W98's line from boot.ini so I boot straight into Pro now.   I'm
thinking I can't truly "clean" install W2K server in C: because it's the
active boot drive, with some Pro files there.

So before I remove the Win98 directory, ProgFiles, and MyDocs for good, I
thought I would throw my plan out to the group for anyone to comment on or
give me some warnings about.  I don't want to mess up Pro, and would like to
get this right the first time.  I do have everything backed up, several
ways.  I've search around MS and read a bunch of Q articles about stuff, so
I think I'm about ready.  I know I can't upgrade W98 to W2K server, but I
can install in a separate folder, which I want to do anyway.  Basically, I
want a "clean install" without reformatting the entire drive, but convert
from FAT32 to NTFS, which is required for DCs anyway.

So, there's my plan in a nutshell.  Has anyone done something like this
before?  Anything I should watch out for?  Any other advice or comments
welcome.  Thanks.

Robert