[windows2000] Accurate Windows time service?

  • From: "Bridget Sullivan" <BSullivan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:51:21 -0700

Hi list, anyone know of a very accurate time service that can run on a
Windows 2000 network? We have an issue where the client computers are
occasionally lagging about 2 seconds behind the domain controller which
is supposed to control the time. The other day all of the client
computers showed 2 seconds behind our server for a period of time (a few
hours or so). The problem has gone away and they are all on the same
time again, but the issue has many worried that Windows time is not
accurate enough. Microsoft acknowledges this and dubs the Windows time
service "loosely synchronized" across the network.

They were using an older time synch client which requires all of the
clients to have the Daylight savings option unchecked, but that screws
up Outlook shared calendars and kerberos logons are a nightmare and I am
really trying to avoid dealing with all of that again. So, if there is a
very accurate time service that can work with the daylight savings
options checked, wed love to know about it.

Thanks for any input!

Bridget Sullivan
Systems Administrator
KQED | Public TV and Radio