[windows2000] Re: A question or two about rebooting servers t hat

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 07:40:43 -0400

OK, I broke down and wrote one all in VBS...

This requires that the support tools .cab be installed, because it uses the
IADsTools COM Library that is installed when you install the support tools.
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have the SP3 version of the support
tools installed here.

I numbered each line again, because some of these lines are long.  You
should have 30 lines total when you are done.

<----------------------Start------------------------->
 1. Option Explicit
 2.
 3. Dim objRootDSE, objOU, comDLL
 4. Dim strDomainName
 5. Dim objDomainController, objDomainController2
 6. Dim intResult
 7.
 8. Set objRootDSE = GetObject("LDAP://rootDSE";)
 9. strDomainName = objRootDSE.Get("defaultNamingContext")
10. wscript.echo "Beginning Synch for " & strDomainName
11. WScript.Echo "---------------------------------------------------"
12. WScript.Echo
13.
14. Set objOU = GetObject("LDAP://OU=Domain Controllers," & strDomainName)
15. Set comDLL = CreateObject("IADsTools.DCFunctions")
16.
17. For Each objDomainController In objOU
18.   For Each objDomainController2 In objOU
19.     If objDomainController.cn <> objDomainController2.cn Then
20.       WScript.echo "  Requesting Synch between " &
objDomainController.cn & " and " & objDomainController2.cn
21.       intResult = comDLL.ReplicaSync(CStr(objDomainController.cn),
CStr(strDomainName), CStr(objDomainController2.cn))
22.       If intResult=0 Then
23.         wscript.echo "     Completed successfully."
24.       Else
25.         wscript.echo "     Failed " & comDLL.LastErrorText
26.       End If
27.       WScript.Echo
28.     End If
29.   Next
30. Next
<----------------End-------------->
Explanation:
Lines 1-6 are variable declarations.
Lines 8-12 get the Domain Name and echoes it to the screen (thanks Joe!)
Line 14 creates a collection of items in the Domain Controllers OU
Line 15 creates an instance of the IADsTools COM Library
Lines 17-30 loop through the domain controllers collection, and for each
one, it forces a synch with the others.

There are weird messages displayed when one of the DC's is an NT4 BDC,
because you can't force a synch like this between NT4 and Win2K DC's...
Maybe I'll figure out how to script this next.

WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!
This will cause your entire directory to replicate, which can be network
intensive.  If you are just trying to replicate a specific container, modify
line 21.

Hope this helps someone bedsides myself,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.