[windows2000] A question about backing up the AD

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rjfalanga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:10:06 -0700

Well, today was my last day in my 2154 class.  As a nascent system
administrator, I was leaking knowledge as I left the room.  (Believe me,
I learned a lot; but because I have so much to learn, I know I won't
retain it all.  Thank God for the book, so I can look information up
later.  :)

I've got another important question, at least for me.  In the class we
discussed things like backing up and restoring Active Directory.  I got
a real big sinking feeling listening to the instructor talk about it,
because I got the impression that I should backup AD on each and every
domain controller in my domain!  We do have a backup system (and we've
had opportunity to test it by restoring files in the past), but it is
only on one server; not all of the DCs.

So, my question is, is the correct thing to do is have some sort of
backup device on each and every domain controller?  Its only on one, and
I don't think that one is a DC.

If the answer to my question is "Yes", then should I just get a tape
backup system for each DC and install it, or is there someone else I
could do, in the event I'm forced to restore AD?

(Sorry for questions which I'm sure are simplistic.)

Rod