[windows2000] 32-bit virtual machines

  • From: "Ray Costanzo" <ray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:10:38 -0500

Hi list,

My winter project this year is to rebuild my home network.  I'm upgrading to
a WS2003 domain from Windows 2000 (or I may venture into 2008 depending on
when that comes out).  I'm going to make use of virtualization as much as
possible and anticipate having five or six VMs.  I'm not a big fan of 64 bit
OSes, so I want to run all 32 bit ones.  When I build the machine that will
host all the virtual machines, I'll want to get as much processing power as
I can reasonably afford.  It seems, however, that all the hardcore
processors these days are 64 bit.  Will this matter?  Will I just be wasting
money buying a 64 bit processor for all 32 bit OSes?  Aside from the "you
should run 64 bit OSes" responses, any thoughts on this?

Thanks