[windows2000] Re: 32 bit or 64 bit Windows Server

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:18:51 -0500

If you are not have more than 4GB memory already then you are better off -
unless you have something that requires 64bit windows.  You will need 64-bit
when you go to the newest Exchange Server (as they will not release a 32-bit
version any more) - but even then you are probably better off with a fresh
install anyway.

Moving to 64bit before you have to, if you don't add more memory, will
actually reduce capacity, as everything needs more memory.  I have seen one
study that suggests the break even point is about 32GB of RAM in the server.